Except I would hate to miss the end of September – it’ll mark five years married to my partner! So the end of the month will be a wash, because we’ve got anniversary plans, followed by my first trade show, and then possibly a friend visiting.
I really have barely written anything this month, but it hasn’t been wholly unproductive. There’s been lots of site updates, little tweaks here and there, including a reference sheet for keeping track of the various writing Twitter tags. I also added a freebie: an up to 10-page critique for new followers!
Work has been hectic, planning two trade shows and an awards dinner simultaneously, while we’ve also been interviewing for a new team member. I can’t wait for them to start, because it’ll make life so much easier on that front. In addition, we’re still unpacking and settling into life here, which hasn’t helped.
So while there’s very little to report for August, it’s been a much more easy going month, which I think I definitely needed. September is bringing a lot of challenges and big events, including the next round of NYC Midnight’s Flash Fiction Challenge! I’ll be looking forward to seeing how I fared last round, and squaring down a new prompt next month.
So awhile ago, I decided to give the notebook into which I’d been brainstorming and outlining a makeover.
This is now my main notebook/idea cache for my NaNoWriMo project, which I’ve decided to call Shroudland. It’s about a budding mortician who suspects things aren’t quite right at their new job, and an experiment in taking plotting and outlining to an extreme.
So here’s what I started with:
Just a plain composition notebook, originally chosen for its girly cover. Buying things that are very feminine makes sure that in a workplace that’s 90%
male my things always find their way back to me.
And here are my main tools:
Fancy stationery and stickers! (I never claimed to be a crafting expert…)
So to start out with, I wrapped the notebook with a sheet of the stationery and trimmed it to fit more or less flush to the edge of the cover. I affixed the stationery with a glue stick, again, because this isn’t meant to be anything fancy, just something fun to help keep me inspired.
The stationery didn’t quite wrap, so I used some off cuts to finish the job on the back.
Great! Time for stickers! I wanted them to be roughly centered, so I used a measuring tape to place them.
And there you have it! One notebook ready to guide me through the harrowing process of NaNoWriMo!